Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Esterlina Chardonnay and My Shrimp Pasta Dish

It is the end of my three week grocery shopping cache. I stand looking at the refrigerator/freezer and cupboards wondering what can I cook for dinner tonight?

Let's see I have some frozen uncooked shrimp, white wine, lemons, capers, garlic, olive oil, and whole wheat pasta. Gee, I wonder what can make with these ingredients?

The white wine is an Esterlina (do you see a pattern here?) 2007 Chardonnay from Russian River Valley. Yes, people I do like a good white wine on occasion. It's not all about red wine.

This wine is crisp and goes well with anything tart. Like lemons. Maybe that is just my opinion, but I do enjoy this Chardonnay. I could also see it accenting a hot, Asian dish also.

So the dinner, first I sauted the shrimp in a Spanish Olive Oil, then put them to the side. Sprinkled with a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I add the whole wheat spaghetti to the boiling, salted water. 12 minutes for the pasta.

During this time, I add a little more olive oil to the pan that the shimp was cooked in. In goes the minced garlic, I only cook this for a moment because garlic will get bitter if it is cooked too long. I add 1/2 a cup of the Chardonnay (and no I am not wasting it by using it in my dish). It simmers for a minute or so, then I add lemon zest and 1/2 a cup of lemon juice (about two lemons). I let this simmer until it is reduced about half. Now for the capers, they only cook in the sauce for a minute then I add the shrimp back in.

The pasta has finished cooking, it has been drained, and put back into the pot it was cooked in. Now the shrimp is done and I pour it on the pasta. I mix it up, then serve it in bowls. I pour a glass of the Esterlina Chardonnay. The evening is complete.

An awesome meal, exceptional Chardonnay, and the USA won the Hockey game. What more can I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment