Saturday, February 13, 2010

Ellie and Esterlina once again

Okay you are probably already tired of this combination, but you must get over it. As Martha would say, "It is a good thing."

I would have never thought that a Pinot Noir would go with Chicken Chop Suey, oh but it does! Quite well as a matter of fact.

There was a lot of prep time, shredding chicken (okay, I confess Mike did the chicken), cutting Shitake mushrooms, Napa cabbage (something I had never cooked before), bamboo shoots, and the regular items that would accent Chop Suey.

I coated Won Ton skins with canola oil and a tad of sea salt and baked them until browned and crispy. Then I proceeded to stir fry the rest of the ingredients while brown rice was in the steamer. Once everything was was combined and cooked to what the recipe specified, it was time to eat. We started with the brown rice in our bowls, topped with the chop suey and the crispy won tons. WOW!

Mike had already picked the Esterlina Pinot Noir (my sommelier in training?). I would like a Sauvignon Blanc or a really dry Chardonnay, (in my mind I am thinking "What would Andrea Immer Robinson do?") as this is a Chinese meal with chicken. Once again I was proved wrong. The Pinot went perfectly with the meal. I don't know if it was the salty won tons or the sesame oil, but it worked.

Some of you might wonder why I'm doing all of this cooking when Mike and I used to go out a lot. Well, unemployment has given me a lot of time to prepare and cook meals at home. We now only go out maybe once a month for dinner and a couple of times for lunch.

This is not a bad thing. I do not miss going out. Actually it has worked out quite well. Our first adventure of not going out has been Ellie Krieger's cookbook and it has been worth it. Her recipes are healthy and always tasty. I'm not missing the mega pinches of salt that my recipes usually had. I follow her lead and do not add additional salt.

I'm not spending any more than when we were going out. Honestly, I think I am spending less and Mike is happy to have his meals ready when he gets home from work. And no, I have not become the perfect housefrau, it is just something I have found I really, really like to do and yes it is for me too.

Okay, now the information on the wine. Esterlina 2007 Pinot Noir, Anderson Valley, Esterlina Estate Vineyard, Reserva.

Here is what they say: My father believes wine growing is all about the land. Based on that belief, we sought out sites in the finest appellations and planted superior clones with the goal of producing exceptional wine. Through experimentation, patience, and a little luck, we feel we have created an exceptional wine. We hope you feel the same. E.I.Sterling, Proprietor. http://www.esterlinavineyards.com/ (707) 895-2920.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and I am cooking a Sweet and Sour Brisket. Don't be surprised, yes it is Ellie all over again. I hope you and your loved ones have a wonderful day. Make sure to eat DARK chocolate as it is good for you. Oh and it goes really great with Port.

Ciao Bella!

1 comment:

  1. We're going out a lot less, too, and finding we're not missing it much. The tough times are when I don't feel like cooking much, either.

    ReplyDelete